WUCA's Strategic Plan serves as the primary guidance document for the alliance's long-term efforts. The plan was developed by the Strategic Planning Committee, which included staff members from each WUCA agency. It covers a five-year period of 2017-2021; however, it is reviewed annually as part of the work plan development process and updated as needed.
Using the 5-year Strategic Plan and an assessment of prior-year accomplishments as guidance, WUCA staff develops a work plan reflecting current priorities for the upcoming year. Priorities for 2017 include the following:
- Support Services: The WUCA staff will seek a consultant to provide administrative support services through a contract agreement with an individual sponsoring agency. The consultant will alleviate administrative and website support tasks and free up WUCA staff time to complete technical work projects on time and on budget.
- Fiscal Agent: The MWD acts as Fiscal Agent for WUCA. They will collect and disburse funds, as well as maintain financial records and documentation.
- Business Practice Mapping: Through a summary document, help reveal the relevance of climate change to the full spectrum of utility decision-making/planning/operational functions and provide guidance on the types of climate information that may be most appropriate for each function.
- Best Practices in Climate Adaptation: Document lessons learned in adapting to climate change at each member utility. Synthesize collective and individual lessons learned and produce white paper, journal article, and PowerPoint slides.
- Presentations (members/guests): Share what others in the sector are doing to address and adapt to climate change. Share how member utilities and practitioners are using climate information.
- Emerging Opportunities: WUCA is proposing to add a budget item for emerging opportunities to allow WUCA to participate in projects that arise in the middle of the calendar year.
- Communication: Complete tasks from 2016 work plan before the end of the year. Create summary document. Develop improved and contemporary WUCA website.
- WUWC/WUCA Partnership: Summarize percentage of utilities using each of the existing Clean Water Act tools that are intended to provide flexibility (e.g. TMDLs, Variances, etc.), and what barriers exist to using them (if any).